Court of the Peculiar of Stratford-upon-AvonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Warwickshire Probate Records page
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to "Records" (see below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office (see address below), to hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the indexes (see next heading). Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes and wills (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilm numbers so you can have them circulated to theFamily History Center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history.
The surviving wills and admons of the Peculiar Court of the Prebendal of Hampton-Lucy Parish have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Printed and Published Indexes
The British Record Society's Index Library published a calendar for earlier years up to 1790 in volume 7, which may be accessed at many major archives in the United Kingdom, such as The National Archives, The British Library, etc.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satelliteFamily History Centers worldwide.
The Family History Library has the following index to this courts' probate records:
The original records are deposited at:
The Shakespeare Centre Library and Archive
Warwickshire CV37 6QW
Telephone: U.K. 01789 201816
Overseas: (+44) 1789 201816
Obtaining a copy of a probate record:
You may visit the Shakespeare Centre via contacting by--
Tel. (+44) (0)1789 201824
Fax: (+44) (0)1789 263248
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills & Admons & Inventories 1678-1795
Or you can write to learn if they provide a research service and request a copy of a probate record (include an index reference in your request).
Family History Library Records
The records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through one of the more than 4,500 Family history centers worldwide. You may visit the Family History Library and search the records on microfilm, or visit a family history center where you can order the films and search them there.
The Court of the Peculiar of Hampton-Lucy held concurrent jurisdiction over the following Warwickshire parishes: Alveston and its chapelry--Chilcote, and Wasperton Parish. When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Consistory Court of Lichfield as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- This page was last modified on 8 December 2011, at 22:04.
- This page has been accessed 288 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More