Court of the Peculiar of BinsteadEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Hampshire Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Hampshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via anycenters near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of Binstead (Isle of Wight) have been mostly indexed with the following ones:
Here is an online index from 1500's-1857. This is a mostly complete listing of wills for this time period, and can be very helpful to those searching Hampshire probate records.
Printed and Published Indexes
Original Handwritten Indexes:
There is an index (manuscript) from 1612 to 1713 for Binstead held at the Hampshire Record Office covering most if not all wills in this peculiar court's jurisdiction.
Microfilmed indexes at the Family History Library:
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
The Family History Library has a comprehensive microfilmed [index Cards] of probate records which pertain to each of Hampshire's peculiar probate courts--including Binstead for the years of this peculiar court's jurisdiction from 1612 to 1713.
The Hampshire Record Office also has a type manuscript index covering the early Baughurst 11612-1713; see the next section below.
Hampshire Record Office
Archives and Local Studies
Hampshire SO23 8TH
tel 01962 846154, fax 01962 878681
Contact the Archives and Local Studies
Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm
Family History Library
The Court of the Peculiar of Binstead held jurisdiction over the parish of Binstead (Isle of Wight). When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search both the Consistory and Archdeaconry Courts of Winchester as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history center.
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2011, at 20:19.
- This page has been accessed 208 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More