Copford, EssexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Copford, is a parish in Lexden district, Essex; it is on the river Roman, 1 1/2 miles E of Marks-Tey railways station, and 4 miles WDW of Colchester.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241373. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
'There were 2 churchwardens, 2 overseers, and 2 constables. A widow was deemed unfit to serve as overseer in 1699. In the later 18th century 2-7 people attended vestry meetings. In 1766 a deputy acted for a female overseer, but in 1776 and 1808 a female overseer supervised the workhouse cloth supplies. In 1818 a salaried overseer was appointed.
'Bequests were sometimes made for the poor, and Hezekiah Haynes by will made 1693 left £5. Between 1747 and 1755 from 51 to 53 householders paid the poor rate and 9 to 12 families received regular payments; by 1761 there were were usually 12 to 14 recipients but 21 in October that year. In the period 1772-9 the number of regular recipients ranged from 5 to 10 and there were 52 to 56 ratepayers. Occasional cash doles were made for rent, burial expenses, and hospital charges. Children were sometimes boarded out. Relief in kind consisted of food, clothing, shoes, cloth, fuel, household equipment, and nursing and mending. In 1795 funds were raised to reduce the price of flour for the poor.
'By the early 19th century relief was mainly in cash. On rare occasions between 1824 and 1835 money was given for tea. The number of families receiving regular payments reached 78 in the winter of 1810-11 and was over 50 in the period 1812-14, subsequently declining to c. 30, but rising above 40 again between 1821 and 1823; payments ranged from 1s. to 7s., but were mostly 2s. to 3s. Forty two poor families had settlement in 1817, totalling c. 200 persons, about a third of the total parish population. Numbers receiving outdoor relief fell from c. 40 in the period 1825-7 to c. 27 in the period 1828-35. Recipients were often described as "ill," especially in 1824-35. A parish doctor was employed from 1751. Payments were frequently made to large families, and to unemployed men notably in 1815 and 1822-3, and occasionally work was provided, for example, in the gravel pit, and mending thatch. In 1815 twelve children were out "at service," and in 1828 a boy was apprenticed to a chairmaker in Colchester.
'In 1753 a parish house was enlarged and adapted as a workhouse, partly financed by the sale of two other houses. Food supplies included meat, bread, flour, pork, milk, peas, beans, onions, nutmeg, oatmeal, and small beer, and cloth bought included calico, dyed cotton, print, bays, check, body lining, and drugget. In 1816 there were four bedrooms for inmates, besides the mistress's room, a working room, brew house, kitchen, parlour, and pantry; the eight spinning wheels remained in 1825. Between 1813 and 1824 the number of inmates ranged from 5 to 22, and between 1824 and 1830 it averaged c. 10, decreasing to c. 8 in the period 1831-5. The weekly cost was 5s. a head a week between 1813 and 1817, but fell to 3s. 9d. in 1818. Copford workhouse was sold in 1838.
'Expenditure on poor relief in Copford was one of the higher per head of parish population in Lexden hundred. In the period 1748-55 it ranged between £117 and £150 a year, in 1761-2 was £180, and in 1766-7 was £143. In 1776 costs were £220 and in 1783-5 averaged £252 a year. In the early 19th century regular payments constituted about a quarter of total expenditure, the workhouse about a tenth, and casual doles the rest. Costs fluctuated between £646 and £1,686 in the period 1813-27 (equivalent to 24s. 8d. and 36s. 10d. a head), and decreased to range between £728 and £810 (equivalent to 23s. 10d. and 26s. 6d. a head) in the period 1828-34.
'In 1894 Copford parish council was formed with eight members. Before the First World War it provided evening classes in agriculture, nursing, and carpentry at Copford Green and Eight Ash Green. There was a small police station in London Road by the Second World War. Eight Ash Green parish council was established in 1949.'
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (London and Edinburgh, 1870) Adapted 16 May 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 16 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, (WayBack Machine) accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Copford: Local government', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 148-149. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15212&amp;amp;strquery=copford Date accessed: 12 February 2011.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 14:33.
- This page has been accessed 367 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More