Cole County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cole County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cole County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 16, 1820|
|County Seat||Jefferson City|
|Address|| Cole County Courthouse|
01 E High Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Cole County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1821;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1821; Recorder Deeds
has marriage and land records from 1821
See an interactive map of Cole County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Jefferson City, MO Cole County Courthouse Fire
Jefferson City, Mo., March 14. -- The Cole County courthouse was destroyed by fire this afternoon. The records which were in fireproof vaults were not damaged. The building was insured for $70,000. The cost of replacing the structure, it was stated today would be $100,000, though the original cost was $59,000.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 15 Mar 1918
To see a list of places in Cole County, click on [Show], in the bar above.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for Jefferson City National Cemetery and other Veterans Affairs National Cemeteries around the country.
For tips on accessing Cole County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Lohman, records in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Cole County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Missouri Local Histories
Maps of townships (Histopolis)
The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Cole County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cole County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Jefferson City newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on Cole County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1865-1874 - Cole County Birth Index 1865-1874. Batch C514812 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883 - Cole County Birth Index 1883. Batch C514814 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1906 - Cole County Birth Index 1883-1906. Batch C514817 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - Cole County Birth Index 1885. Batch C514815 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1821-1865 - Cole County Marriage Books A and B Index 1821-1865. Batch M514811 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1881 - Cole County Marriage Books C and D Index 1865-1881. Batch M514812 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Cole County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1881-1885. Batch M514813 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1906 - Cole County Death Index 1883-1906. Batch B514817 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Cole County Historical Society
109 Madison Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cole County, Missouri. Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2013, at 20:23.
- This page has been accessed 1,991 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More