Choctaw County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Choctaw County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
1833 - Choctaw County was created from part of the territory ceded by the Choctaw Indians under the treaty of Dancing Rabbit in 1830. Choctaw county was organized December 23, 1833.
County seat: Ackerman 
There have been several fires and early records are missing. Records after 1881 are found in Ackerman.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Choctaw County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Family Maps of Choctaw County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Choctaw County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Choctaw County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company C - Turner’s Battery
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company K - Davis’ Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Choctaw Rangers
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Choctaw Rough & Ready Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Bankston Guards
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G - Barry Guards
- -19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company D - Cochran’s Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company D - Cochran’s Company
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company B - Choctaw Rangers
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Mississippi Cleansers, aka Barksdale Avengers
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1881-1886 - Marriages of Black Couples, Choctaw County, Mississippi Marriage Book A. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1881-1925 - Choctaw County Marriage Books A-F, 2-4 Index 1881-1925 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1904-1922 (gaps) - Choctaw County, Mississippi Index to Marriages. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Choctaw County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 21:51.
- This page has been accessed 2,015 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More