Central SynagogueEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Great Portland Street, London
Central Synagogue Website http://www.centralsynagogue.org.uk
The Central Synagogue was originally built in 1870 at its present location on Great Portland Street in the City of London. For 15 years prior to the construction of that building, a temporary building existed at another location on Great Portland Street. From 1855 till the building was built in 1870, the Central Synagogue was a branch of the Great Synagogue, Duke's Place, also in the City of London. After 1870, the Central Synagogue became an independant congregation at its present site.
On May 10, 1941 the Central Synagogue was destroyed by enemy bombing. That synagogue was rebuilt on the same site and reopened in 1958.
Records At The Family History Library
- Berger, Doreen, The Jewish Victorian: genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers, 1871-1880, (FHL book #942 F2bd 1871-1880).
- Berger, Doreen, The Jewish Victorian: genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers, 1861-1870, (FHL book #942 F2bd 1861-1870).
- Mordy, Isobel, Collection of Jewish records (FHL film #1279240-1279250).
- Pollack, Miriam, The Jewish Chronicle Project: Personal Announcements, 1900-1909, (FHL CD-ROM # 2697).
Vital Records Available Online
- www.theus.org.uk/the_united_synagogue/burial/our_cemeteries United Synagogue Burials
- www.theus.og.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records United Synagogue Marriage Authorisation Database.
- www.jgsgb.org.uk/An_1851_Study1.asp The Jewish Community in Mid 19th Century Database.
- www.jeffreymaynard.com Historical and genealogical information about the Jewish community of England.
- The Knowles Collection
Websites of Interest
- www.jgsgb.org.uk Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain
- http://www.cemeteryscribes.com/ CemeteryScribes recording inscriptions from UK Jewish Cemeteries also includes mini family trees
- Lindsay, P. The Synagogues of London, London 1993
- Renton, Peter, The Lost Synagogues of London, London 2000. (FHL book # 942.1/L1 F2r)
- www.jgsgb.org.uk The Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2011, at 17:35.
- This page has been accessed 204 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More