Cartmel, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
See also Cartmel Fell, a chapel of ease serving the Winster Valley in Cartmel Parish.
For researchers, see a comprehensive List of Chapelries in Cartmel Parish.
Cartmel St Mary is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Holker, Lower Allithwaite, Newton in Cartmel, Upper Allithwaite, Upper Holker, and East Plain.
"CARTMEL St Mary, a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster and stands within the townships of Lower Allithwaite and Upper Holker, 14 miles northwest by north of Lancaster. See a list of the chapels of ease in Cartmel Parish at the above link.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Online Records (Under Construction)
Cartmel parish registers and those registers of all of its smaller chapelries lying within its boundaries have been partially transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|CARTMEL ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL PARISH (1558) Indexes|
|FS||1559-1724, 1832-1882||1559-1723, 1832-1880||1832-1882|
|ALLITHWAITE ST MARY Chapelry (1865) Indexes|
|CARTMEL-FELL ST ANTHONY Chapelry (1857) Indexes|
|GRANGE ST PAUL Chapelry (1857) Indexes|
|FIELD-BROUGHTON (EAST BROUGHTON) ST PETER Chapelry (1859) Indexes|
|FLOOKBURGH ST JOHN THE BAPTIST Chapelry (1859) Indexes|
|HAVERSTHWAITE Chapelry (1832) Indexes|
|LINDALE ST PAUL Chapelry (1754) Indexes|
|STAVELEY ST MARY Chapelry (1857) Indexes|
The original parish registers for St Mary's and most of its attached chapelries and their respective church registers are available through either Cumbria Record Office, County Offices, Kendal (LA9 4RQ), or copies of the originals are also available through the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA or via its 4,600 satellite FamilySearch centers worldwide.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306914. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 523-526. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50859 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
- This page was last modified on 11 February 2013, at 04:45.
- This page has been accessed 555 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More