Adair County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This article is about a northeast Missouri county. For other uses, see Adair.
Guide to Adair County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Adair County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Adair County Courthouse |
106 W. Washington
Kirksville, MO 63501
Telephone: (660) 665-3350
Adair County Website
County Recorder has marriage and land records from 1840:
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records; Probate
Clerk has probate records; County Clerk has school enumeration
See an interactive map of Adair County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Adair County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Adair County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Missouri Local Histories
- Interactive map of Adair County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Adair County.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Adair County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
The Adair County Historical Society has created an obituary and death notice collection on its website. They have been extrated from the Kirksville Daily Express and cover from March, 1979 through December 31, 2010. There are some additional obituaries taken from the Unionville Republican which are earlier than the listed dates above.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adair County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1841-1878 - Adair County Marriage Book 1 Index 1841-1878. Batch M514581 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1884 - Adair County Marriage Books 2 thru 4 Index 1871-1884. Batch M514582 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1885 - Adair County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1884-1885. Batch M514583 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adair County, Missouri. Page 397 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 June 2013, at 14:59.
- This page has been accessed 1,980 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More