A Comprehensive List of Chapels in the Parish Boundaries of St George Hanover SquareEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Middlesex Parishes S page.
Here is a Comprehensive List of Chapels Within the Boundaries of St George Hanover Square, Westminster:
- St George Hanover Square - 1725 [from St.Martin-in-the-Fields]
- All Saints, Grosvenor Road, Pimlico. Chapel-of-Ease to previous (1863)
- Berkeley Chapel, John Street, Berkeley Square, Mayfair. Proprietary Chapel - became:
St Mary, Bourdon Street. Chapel-of-Ease to St.Geo.Han.Sq. - 1882
- Christ Church, Down Street, Mayfair 
- Curzon Chapel, Curzon Street, Mayfair. Proprietary Chapel. Successor to the Mayfair Chapel, the marriage shop of the infamous Dr.Keith who defied church and state authority, with his asistants conducting 7000+ marriages c.1730 until activities stopped by Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1754. Oddly enough, the registers were well-kept and went to the parish church (St.George's Hanover Square), and the Bishop's Transcripts to the diocesan registry.
- Eaton Chapel, Eaton Terrace. Proprietary Chapel. - 1836
- Grosvenor Chapel, South Audley Street - 1730
- Hanover Church, Regent Street - 1823 became district church, then replaced by:
St Anselm, Davies Street, Berkeley Square. [Separate parish 1896] - closed 1938, Parish united to Han.Square and St Mark, N.Audley Street.
- St Barnabas, Church Street, Pimlico -1850
- St John's Chapel, Pimlico Road. Chapel-of-Ease to above
- St Gabriel, Warwick Square, Pimlico - 1852
- St George's Chapel, Albermarle Street. Proprietary Chapel [18??]
- St George, Albemarle Street, Proprietary Chapel. - 1740? Registers survive 1888-1909
- St John, Belgrave Square. Proprietary Chapel. Possibly the same as:
Belgrave Chapel Halkin Street [1898-1910]
- St Mark, North Audley Street - 1828
- St Saviour's (for Deaf and Dumb) Chapel, Oxford Street
- St Michael, Chester Square - 1846
- St Philip, Buckingham Palace Road - 1888. Separate parish 1890.
- St Paul, Wilton Place [Knightsbridge] - 1843
- St Mary, Graham Street [now Bourne Street] - 1909
- St Peter, Eaton Square - 1827
- St John the Evangelist, Wilton Road Chapel-of-Ease to above - 1874?
- St Peter, Buckingham Gate/Palace Street Chapel-of-Ease to above - 1822?
- St Saviour, St George's Square, Pimlico - 1864
- Trinity Chapel, Conduit Street - 1691, chapel of ease; closed 1875
- This page was last modified on 2 January 2011, at 17:17.
- This page has been accessed 264 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More