2nd Regiment, Minnesota InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry was organized at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and mustered in by Companies as follows: "A" and "B" June 26, "D" and "E" July 5, "F" and "G" July 8, "H" July 15, "I" July 20, and "K" August 23, 1861. It mustered out on July 11, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on this regiment see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) article on the 2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry.
- The Civil War Archives. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 2nd Regiment Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive section,2nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 28 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
- Company A - many men from - Fillmore County, Winona County, and Olmsted County - Roster, page 56.
- Company B - many men from - Olmsted County and Ramsey County - Roster, page 62.
- Company C - many men from - Dodge County and Wabasha County - Roster, page 68.
- Company D - many men from - Ramsey County and other assorted counties - Roster, page 74.
- Company E - many men from - Nicollet County and Le Sueur County - Roster, page 80.
- Company F - many men from - Ramsey County and Washington County - Roster, page 86.
- Company G - many men from - Ramsey County, Brown County, and Hennepin County - Roster, page 92.
- Company H - many men from - Blue Earth County and Ramsey County - Roster, page 98.
- Company I - many men from - Ramsey County, Goodhue County, Carver County, and Hennepin County - Roster, page 104.
- Company K - many men from - McLeod County, and Ramsey County - Roster, page 109.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Minnesota in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Minnesota in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Minnesota, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Research OnLine. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Second Regiment history and bibliography.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Second Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha County.
- Civil War Index. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Website with detailed Minnesota regimental histories.
- MilitaryHistoryOnline, (accessed 9 December 2010) has submissions by people about their ancestors who served in the Civil War.
BOOKS & FICHE
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- Carley, Kenneth, and Richard Moe. Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History. (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google books. (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.
- Bishop, Judson Wade. Official records concerning the Second Regiment, Minnesota Veteran Volunteer Infantry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993)FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6118048.
- Bishop, Judson Wade, and Newell L Chester. The story of a regiment : being a narrative of the service of the Second Regiment, Minnesota Veteran Volunteer Infantry, in the Civil War of 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6118049. Google books.
- Chester, Newell L and Judson Wade Bishop. The Story of a regiment [...] the Second Minnesota Regiment, Minnesota Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War of 1861 to 1865 : with history of Judson Bishop and additional chapters. (St. Cloud, Minnesota : North Star Press of St. Cloud, c2000) FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2cn. World Cat entry.
- Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Minnesota Adjutant General's Report of 1866. (Roseville, Minnesota : Park Genealogical Books, c1997). FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2ma Other libraries with this book. Arranged in alphabetical order by soldier's name. Gives soldier's name, age, birthplace, rank, regiment, company, date and place mustered in, date and place mustered out, and other information.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488542. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- United States. Army. Minnesota Infantry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865). John Foot, born at the city of New York on the 30th, April, 1835, died at Geneva, Ontario County on the 13th, March, 1862. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118052
- This page was last modified on 26 October 2012, at 01:49.
- This page has been accessed 1,010 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More