23rd Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in November 8, 1862. It was in the Surrender of Johnston and his army and had duty at Greensboro till June. They mustered out July 2, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section,
- The Wikipedia article, 23rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 June, 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 520
- Company B - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 523
- Company C - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 525
- Company D - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 527
- Company E - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 529
- Company F - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 531
- Company G - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 533
- Company H - many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 535
- Company I - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 537
- Company K - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 539
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 541
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 23th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- List of Indiana Civil War regiment (accessed 13 Dec 2010) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 16:17.
- This page has been accessed 865 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More