20th Regiment, Connecticut InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 20th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and mustered in the 8th of September 1862. This regiment was mustered out June 13, 1865. 
For more information about the 20th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - Storrs, John W., The Twentieth Connecticut : a regimental history, (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1987). Available online at Google Books. Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Film 1491099, or FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082950.
- The Civil War Archive section, 20th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 April 2012).
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Company A was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company B was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company D was largely formed by men from Middlesex County.
Company E was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company F was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company G was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 621. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 717. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 20th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc., (accessed 9 Mar 2011). History and Roster
- Twentieth Connecticut Infantry Volunteers, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). This website contains a variety of links with information regarding the regiment, including a history and gravesites.
- This page was last modified on 5 October 2012, at 02:10.
- This page has been accessed 553 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More